Hello folks! I hope you are all having a good week! This week I want to focus on identifying your market or figuring out who your customer is. This is an important part of marketing because you have to know who you are marketing to in order to draw them in.
I am continually amazed with the great customers that we have and how the right people seem to find us at Coolmo! What do I mean the right people, wouldn’t anyone be the right customer? No, because each of us provide services or products that will be desirable to certain people and not to others. We do want our services and products to be desirable to enough people that we can sell them and have a thriving business; however not everyone will fit into that category.
Let’s use Target as an example. Target has a wide range of ages that would be interested in their products or would benefit from them. In socio-economic terms, middle income earners are going to be primary customers for Target. With that in mind Target knows who they are advertising to and who they want to please with their products.
At CoolMo, we have had these conversations as far as who our customers are and how we can offer them appealing products and services. You know who you are folks and we’re glad you’re here!
We know that we are appealing to adults who are business entrepreneurs. This is our market and we want to reach people in that market so our advertising will reflect that.
If your business is focused on schools, for example, then you want to appeal to students, parents and school faculty. That means your advertising will likely include bold, bright colors, use of mascots, things that represent academia like books and graduation hats, models portraying students, families and school staff.
Like anything else in our business, having a clear vision and idea of what we hope to accomplish and who we are marketing to will help us meet our goals!
Todd’s Pro Tip
Ways to drive more traffic to your website!
Free and paid ways to get your website seen
Part 2 of our 3 part series
Last week we discussed the importance of driving traffic to your website and how vital that traffic be good quality. This week, let’s look at some actual things you can do to start driving quality traffic to your website. Because, quality traffic leads to paying customers.
Two FREE ways from Google to increase your website traffic
1) Google My Business is an all-in-one solution for businesses. It enables you to get more out of your online presence and increase the likelihood of a shopper clicking on your listing. Google My Business is designed to help you grow as a business, not just with search rankings, but with a variety of valuable tools that streamline day-to-day operations and enable you to show professionalism on social media.
You are 7 times more likely to get quality traffic from an optimized Google Business Listing than from an incomplete listing. Just remember, Google keeps getting smarter with its results pages. To be listed high on search results, you need to provide specific information for visitors to easily navigate your business and find what they’re looking for.
Here are some additional features and benefits of Google My Business:
Your Google listing:
- Is free and easy to set up.
- Allows you to show up for searches relevant to your business and location.
- Increases your visibility on a platform whose users have the intent to buy.
- Drives qualified traffic to your store.
- Provides customers the opportunity to post reviews and even further boost your presence.
Also, keep in mind that Google My Business:
- Enables your business to get found in mobile searches, which have surpassed desktop.
- Uses visuals to provide consumers with a sense of what it’s like to actually be at your business, knocking down uncertainty which is a major barrier to entry.
- Equips searchers with the ability to interact with your business directly in your listing — increasing the chances of engagement and obtaining new customers.
If you’re serious about making a mark in your community, having your Google My Business page set up and maintained is a must. A well-maintained page is one of the best ways to distinguish your business among competitors. When it comes to marketing points, online communities are an incredibly important way to build awareness.
2) Keep up with your on-page SEO
Your meta description is one of your most valuable SEO tools. Employing the right words that best describe your products will help increase your site’s SEO, which will get you more visitors. The meta description below your URL is also an opportunity for you to tell people what to expect when they land on your page. On your products, the short description area is where this information is pulled and what is used to attract qualified visitors.
Google is NOT your only option to increase traffic!
Here are a few more strategies to improve sales and boost your online presence:
- Get listed with online directories
- Another way to increase traffic to your website is by getting listed in free directories. You might be surprised to know that while many directories are search engine friendly, others are not. With that said, getting listed in reliable online directories that make your profile easy to find in search results is a good strategy, which could potentially result in more website traffic. In addition, many directories, like Yelp, have high domain authority on Google.
- Post to Social Media
- Facebook and Instagram are great for promoting blog posts, but they are also great at driving traffic to your website. One of the most appealing features of social media is that you can draw followers from their networks. If you post shareable content, like a link to a blog post or helpful page on your website, your followers can repost it to their friends and followers.
- I know it can be difficult to create new content, but remember you are the expert in your field to your customers. It is your job to ‘dumb down’ your job to your customer base so they can feel a part and understand what it is that you do and why they will benefit from your expertise.
- Build Backlinks
- A backlink is an external link to your website. It will increase traffic and visibility by bringing in new customers. Advertising your website on relevant sites will help to boost online sales. In addition, links from complementary businesses or industry influencers will not only get your business in front of a larger audience, but will also drive qualified traffic to your website.
- Engage Online
- Your online community is thriving. How are you using your resources to get more customers? Win new customers by commenting on blogs and social media posts, answering questions people are posting, and participating in conversations about your industry. The more you engage with your online community, the more exposure and profile visits you get. It’s free, and it comes from being active and engaging.
- Engaging with your customers on social media channels is an important element of branding, discovery and customer service. If your social media profiles contain links to your brand website; you are turning the engagement into another channel for website traffic. Just be sure to engage moderately and in a sincere way, and don’t include links to your brand website in your comments — lest you appear spammy and hurt your online reputation. Increased website traffic should not be the goal of your social media engagement, rather a side affect.
In part 3 of our series, we’ll be focusing on some commercial (for a fee) ways to drive traffic to your website and also some things to NEVER do or you could lose your ranking entirely.